A descriptive essay is considered to be the simplest compared to other essays. This is due to the fact that this type of essay does not imply defending one’s point of view or building a complex system of arguments. The meaning of a descriptive essay is to describe a question, to explain it to the reader.
Writing a descriptive essay should be preceded by the process of topic selection, selection and study of literature. If you were given a common theme, then it needs to be narrowed, otherwise you will not be able to keep within a small volume and at the same time qualitatively reveal the topic. For example, the theme “Culture of Russia” is so extensive that it can be considered the composition of the peoples of the country, the interaction of different cultures, the history of Russian culture and dozens of other issues. One has only to add details to the theme, as it becomes more specific. In case of problems with the definition of the topic, we recommend to get acquainted with the appropriate material for the selection of the topic.
After determining the topic devote sufficient time to the selection and study of literature. Your task is not to find the material and rewrite it, but to look for interesting facts in different sources. To do this, you will need electronic and printed periodicals, reference books, news, legal and other sites that provide the most up-to-date information.
During this work, be sure to carefully write out quotes and sources, so that when you make an essay you do not have to search for the same literature again. It is best to study the rules of essay citations in advance — it will save you time in further work.
Writing a draft essay
1. The descriptive essay begins with an introduction. Since any essay is intended to interest the reader, from the first lines you need to tell him something important, valuable, interesting, so he wanted to read your work further. This may be shocking statistics about some topical issue, the intrigue is relatively unusual inventions, funny story short, succinct quote or something of the same sort.
2. After that, you should immediately explain to the reader what your article will be about. Will you describe the life of a famous person, tell about a popular book or a historical event, you should designate it. For example, in the case of a famous person should briefly introduce it to the reader.
3. Write the main thesis of your essay. It should Express the main idea of the work that you will prove in its main part. For example, if you write about the political culture of Russia, the introduction can highlight a key feature of such a culture. Please note that the thesis should not be controversial or contradictory. There should be no doubt or denial about it. For example, it is not necessary to write: “the peculiarity of the political culture of Russia, probably, is that…” or “the government should not ignore the problems of the people.”
4. Make the transition from the introduction to the main part with one or two sentences. For example, you can describe the main ideas that will be revealed in the work, or invite the reader to a more detailed consideration of the topic.
5. In the main part of the narrative essay we should proceed to the proofs of the described thesis. The easiest way to do this is with basic ideas. After describing one new idea, you should provide relevant evidence. For example, you have identified four features of political culture in Russia. Then in the main part you denote the first feature and prove it with concrete facts. This can be described as follows: “Russian citizens do not trust the authorities. It is connected with political events… and is expressed in…”. Next, you need to consistently present the rest of the ideas, each time arguing them. In the role of evidence can act statistics, interviews, statements of famous personalities and more.
6. At the end of the essay it is time to return to the thesis formulated at the beginning and to voice it from new positions. For example, if you wrote that the main feature of the political culture of Russia is the distrust of citizens to the authorities, then in conclusion you can formulate the same thesis with an explanation: “…distrust of citizens to the authorities due to…”.
Also in the final part of the essay it is recommended to summarize the basic ideas and complete the work with a specific statement, a reader’s call to any action or designation of a new question. For example, to encourage the reader to think about possible ways of forming the Russian political culture.
If you find it difficult to keep in mind a lot of ideas and evidence to them, we recommend to make an approximate plan. In the plan it should be noted that you are going to consider in the introduction of the essay, its main and final parts.
Correction and execution of essay
Perhaps you remember the old cartoon ” Why does a lion have a big mane?”and famous phrase from him “haircut only launched.” So, if you want to get a high score for your essay, after writing a draft is thoroughly to get to work. Re-read the essay several times, ruthlessly remove unsuccessful paragraphs, add new arguments, find more catchy phrases-so you get a really deep and interesting essay.
Ideally, the essay is written not for the teacher, but for readers, so it makes sense to show it to several friends or colleagues. Do not be afraid of criticism or spend an extra half an hour of time, because your task is to learn how to write such works, and not to take them only for show.
But that’s not all. After the final approval of the content of the narrative essay it is necessary to issue and print it correctly. If this whole procedure seems too complicated or time-consuming, “Academician” will help you to prepare a competent descriptive essay on any topic.