Although there is no hard-and-fast rule about the correct way to write an authorization letter, a certain standard is expected while writing one. Let us take a look at some of the tips that you should remember while writing an authorization letter.
- First and foremost, when you sit down to write an authorization letter, you should remember that the language that you are going to use should be simple to understand and there shouldn’t be any scope for miscommunication. The idea should be to make it easier for the reader to get the instructions.
- Ensure that you write the full name of the person you are authorizing to act on your behalf. Apart from writing the full name of the person don’t forget to mention an identity proof of the person, like his social security number or the employee code, so that any sort of complications are avoided.
- You should clearly mention the date and the time by which the individual nominated by you should get the authorization. So, instead of writing, “Mr. James Kiefer should be allowed to gain entrance to the office premises by 3:00 on 16-05-2011”, you can write “Mr. James Kiefer be allowed to gain entrance to the office premises by 3 pm on 16th of May, 2011.
- If you have certain preferences about how a task should be carried out, don’t forget to mention it in the authorization letter. If you forget to mention it, you really can’t blame anyone later. For example, if you are writing an authorization letter to your bank requesting that a certain payment needs to be made to an insurance company, do ensure that you mention whether you want the payment to made by check or cash.
- Last but not the least, ensure that the authorization letter is written in a professional manner. This means that you have to follow the accepted standard for writing business letters, that is, the receiver’s name should be on the left side of the letter, followed by an introduction, a main paragraph and the conclusion.
Authorization Letter Template
|Mr. Steven Riefel
Secretary, Student’s Relationship Department,
New Jersey, 235-435,
I would like to request a copy of my diploma certificate as I have lost the original documents that the University had provided me. I earned a Bachelor’s degree in Arts in the year 2006 from your esteemed institution.
I would request you to allow my friend Mr. Paul Smith to collect the documents on my behalf as I am now residing in New York. He will present a valid proof for identification. This authorization will be valid till the 21st May, 2011.
As mentioned before, authorization letters are used for a variety of purposes including legal matters. We would advise that you consult your lawyer before writing an authorization letter regarding a legal issue. Authorization letters are of great help in numerous circumstances, so it is important that you know how to go about writing one.