How to Write a Character Reference Letter
Since you are writing it for a friend, it should have a personal touch to it. Though it is meant to be a formal letter, your familiarity and closeness to your friend should be reflected in it. If possible, you may include a story related to the person, that is indicative of all the qualities he/she possesses. The content should be kept concise. Also, keep the following tips in mind.
- Start by addressing the person you are writing to. As much as possible, avoid using the salutation To Whomsoever it May Concern. It is highly impersonal. Make an effort to find out whom the letter should be addressed to.
- Start your letter by introducing your relationship with the person you are writing the letter for, and the duration for which you have known him/her.
- Move on to the next paragraph, and write specific qualities about your friend, that are applicable to the context. If possible, provide a small illustration where your friend has demonstrated the previously mentioned qualities.
- End your letter by reaffirming your recommendation for the purpose of the application.
- Sign off by thanking the reader of the letter. Provide the valediction, your signature, and your full name.
As mentioned earlier, such a letter should be short, and ideally, type-written. Some people, however, do not have any qualms about receiving hand-written character reference letters.
So that you understand the aforementioned guide better, here’s a look into a sample character reference letter for tenancy, that you may use for reference purpose.
|Sample Character Reference Letter for Tenancy|
Dear Ms./Mr. Name of the Concerned Person,
Kindly accept this letter as a character reference for my friend Sophie Jones, who is applying for tenancy of your apartment. We were roommates while in college, from where we developed a strong friendship that has been maintained to this date, 9 years after.
Sophie is one of the most accommodating persons I have come across. She understands the need for privacy by roommates, and makes sure that she doesn’t become a nuisance to her neighbors. Never have I had trouble with her bringing her friends over, as she did so only after consulting whether I would be okay with it. Further, in spite of having all the freedom, she has never taken to any kind of habits that most college students are prone to developing.
Her ability to be organized, tidy, and clean, is extremely remarkable. It even rubbed off on me while I was living with her. While I wouldn’t worry about paying off bills immediately, she would ensure she did the same at the earliest. Without imposing any of her habits on me, she had a strong impact on my lifestyle and my thought process. This increased my respect for her all the more.
I highly recommend her as a tenant for your apartment. You can take it as a personal guarantee on my behalf, that you will never have any trouble with her in any respect.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Using the aforementioned sample as a reference, you too can write a suitable letter for your friend, for whichever purpose he/she requires. The basic format will remain the same. You only have to include qualities in the letter to make it relevant to the purpose. Hence, you will now be able to write an appropriate character reference letter for different purposes.